Monday, July 12, 2010

Interesting Use of Wikis

While looking at a variety of educational wikis, I found a site where a 5th grade class uses a wiki to embed a slideshow of each student's poetry.  Students wrote a collection of poems and then used a site to upload the poetry so that each child’s collection was able to be embedded in the wiki in the form of a slideshow. What a great way to make it easy to share writing with classmates. Also, it’s a fantastic motivator to do your best work if you know it will be published online and viewed by others. Students take more pride in their work with a bigger audience. I particularly liked this idea because it seems a quick, easy way to get started with wikis. Students used the website http://www.docstoc.com/ to upload and embed their PowerPoints. Definitely take a look at this site!  I already joined this website, because I want to complete the same poetry project in my class.  Each year I have students complete poetry for slideshows, but this is a way to have all slideshows readily available for students to view at one time. 
Poetry PowerPoints Wiki Site

It's easy to embed these slideshows into a wiki, as you can see below.



4 comments:

  1. Patty- I thought that this was so cool! I am definitely going to try this at some point next school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how that teacher shared their poems online in such a cute way. Doc Stoc looks so easy and simple to post on Wiki's and Blogs! I will definitely look into it more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So weird! I left a comment but it disappeared. I wanted to say that I really like how you shared something a teacher created with her students. This would be so easy to put on a school wiki to share with parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am having a lot of fun with uploading slideshows to embed in wikis and blogs. I'll look like a pro if I use those at school. haha

    ReplyDelete